At the end of 1943, the Curtiss company, wishing to improve the performance of the P-40, decided to remove 2 of the 6 machine guns that equipped the "WarHawk". Thus was born the P-40N, the last operational version of this mythical fighter.
The manufacturer's number 29677, ordered in 1942, was destined for the Chinese Air Force, whose colors were applied by the manufacturer in the factory. However, it was delivered to the USAAF, which destined it for the 5th Air Force operating in the Far East.
At the end of the war in 1945, it was assigned to the 49th Fighter Group of the 5th Air Force and abandoned at Tadji airfield in Papua New Guinea.
"Little Jeanne" remained there until 1974 ! deprived of its engine but still standing on its landing gear. Recovered and conditioned, it went to New Zealand to be displayed in various museums between 1977 and 1991.