In 1947, the Ministry of Defense created an Air Force Presentation Squadron.
It was led by Captain Perrier, former pilot of the Patrouille d'Étampes, which was then equipped with 12 Stampe SV-4s.
In 1952, Major Pierre Delachenal, pilot of the 3rd Fighter Wing stationed at 112 Reims-Champagne Air Force Base, formed a first presentation squadron equipped with 4 Republic F-84 Gs.
During the airshow of May 17, 1953 at Maison-Blanche airfield in Algeria, the pilot and journalist Jacques Nœtinger, thrilled by the show he had just seen, named this formation
"Patrouille de France".
The Armée de l'Air staff ratified this name on September 14, 1953.
During the next 10 years, the Patrouille de France changed squadrons 4 times, initially based at the 112 Rems-Champagne air base, the Patrouille went to the 2nd Wing of the 102 Dijon-Longvic air base in 1954, and the following year it was based at the 12th Wing of the 103 Cambrai-Epinoy air base.
In 1956, the Patrouille de France was divided into two squadrons with a Mystère IV A Patrol based at 103 Cambrai-Epinoy air base, which ensured presentations abroad, and an M.D. 450 Ouragan Patrol based at the 4th Wing of 136 Bremgarten air base, which ensured presentations on French territory.
From 1957 to 1961, the Patrouille de France returned to the 2nd Wing of the 102 Dijon-Longvic air base and from 1961 to 1963, it was based at the 4th Wing of the 133 Nancy-Ochey air base. These wings will perpetuate the traditions of the Patrouille de France and contribute to its international success.